Interesting Facts About France
Facts 1 - 20
1. The official name of France is la République française (The French Republic) and its motto is Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité. It means 'Liberty. Equality. Brotherhood.'
La devise de la République française.
The motto of the French Republic.
The capital city of France is Paris. The motto of Paris is:- Il est battu par les flots mais ne sombre pas. It means:- It is beaten by the waves but does not flounder.
The motto of Paris (la devise de Paris) is written in Latin on the city's coat of arms:- Fluctuat nec mergitur.
The French word for 'the coat of arms' is le blason.
2. The head of the French Republic is elected by the people. He is called le président de la République française. His official residence is at le Palais de l'Élysée and the address is:- 55, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré, Paris.
The current president is called Emmanuel Macron and he is the youngest French president ever: - just 39 years old when he was first elected on 7 May 2017.
He was re-elected for the second time on 24 April 2022.
3. The emblem of The French Republic is in gold and consists of the letters R and F entwined in the centre. The emblem can be seen on the front cover of le passeport français.
4. The name 'France' means 'Land of the Franks.' The Franks were a Germanic tribe who lived in Northern Europe after the fall of the Roman Empire.
5. Apart from France, French is the official language of the following countries -
Benin, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Congo, French Caledonia, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Gabon, Guadaloupe, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Luxembourg, Mali, Martinique, Monaco, Niger, Senegal, Togo, the Canadian province of Quebec and the Swiss districts of Vaud, Neuchatel, Geneva and Jura.
French is one of the official languages in the following countries -
Belgium, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Channel Islands (Guernsey and Jersey), Comoros, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Haiti, Madagascar, Rwanda, Seychelles and Vanuatu.
French is widely spoken in the following countries -
Algeria, Andorra, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Dominica, Egypt, Grenada, Guinea-Bissau, Lebanon, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Syria, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, United States (Louisiana, New England) and Vietnam.
6. A person who speaks French as their first language is called un Francophone. The French language is called la langue française. The people of France are called les Français.
7. The flag of France is bleu, blanc, rouge. It is known as le drapeau tricolore (or the tricolour flag). It has existed since 1794. The three colours are represented in equal proportions. According to the French government's website, the colours are a joining together of: blue and red - these colours traditionally represent Paris, and white - this colour traditionally represents royalty.